The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Knee pain worse

For the first time I've now got permanent knee pain and some swelling. I'll just take each day as it comes. I'm still glad I ran the ekiden, basically the injury was already there and wasn't going to get a whole lot worse.

When I get time off work next I need to work out a plan for fixing the knees - I'm doing a fair bit already:

Stretching
Rolling pin, ball and roller massage
Taping of the patella
Taking glucasomine
Icing
Massage
Strength exercises

The important things to focus on will be the strength exercises and massage (both deep tissue and with a roller). Both pains are caused by muscle imbalances, so loosening the outside of the leg and increasing the pull on the inside of the leg is the answer - I just doubt it can be done in time for the marathon. The one think that gets me is this - the pain came on in four days (left leg) and about two days (right leg) - so why does it take months to get the pain to go away?

2 Comments:

At 2:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mate, your recovery program sounds already like training!

Ever thought about doing nothing for a week or so? That would give your entire system a nice break before you unleash massage tools and all the other things you are planning to do.

Allow things just to cool down a little. Don't bang your head against the wall with a forced recovery. My number 1 recovery secret is: rest. Highly recommended.

Cheers, Ingo

 
At 3:31 pm, Blogger mika t. said...

I agree with Ingo. Take it easy, and rest, at least a couple of days. Maybe you can still do push ups and sit ups if you want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home