The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Bad news

Well folks, my luck looks like it's run out. I've tentatively pulled out of the ekiden and told the team organiser. The half marathon looks unlikely the week after and training has stopped again. The right knee is stuffed. Really sore. Hurts like hell when I go to stand up (although it's fine when I walk for a bit). I have no idea what's wrong. I have no swelling. The pain is on the inside of the right knee cap, and hurts most when I push the kneecap with my finger to the outside of the leg. The pain is sharp and hot and immediate.

The left leg was bad enough - the maltracking patella has developed into standard ITB problems, cutting into the side of my leg like cheesewire. But this right knee problem has stopped me in my tracks. What can I do? I guess the RICE and KTCSAL (that's Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, Kick The Cat, Swear A Lot) methods are the only answer.

4 Comments:

At 9:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez Gordon, you are having some bad luck. Have you tried stretching out your calves and hamstrings? You can get Ibuprofen over the counter here too. There is brand called "EVEAURE" or イブオーレ.

While all you can do now is try to treat the injury, I think you might need to go back over your running logs in some detail and try to look at whether maybe you have loaded yourself up too much at times. I guess that's not a very helpful comment right now, but looking further down the track, you may need to assign yourself a significant period of just slowish consistent high mileage to build up strength and resistance with minimal fast stuff. I'm not sure. But certainly you seem to be suffering more than your fair share of injury. Hope it comes good quickly.

 
At 1:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Gordon but congratulations on the withdrawel from the Ekiden. I really mean it. It takes some gut to throw the towel.

Take your mind of running for now and finish the work on your race bike in the meantime or look for other endeavours in the interim. Better write off one season to the benefit of the next to come.

Again, really sorry mate. You were sending enough signs to show that this was on its way. But don't pull the plug on your blog please! Get well, Ingo

 
At 8:45 pm, Blogger GKK said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Tomorrow I am going to see the super-expensive Tokyo Physio, pay my ¥12,000 and see what they say. A little voice (the bad devil voice) in my head still says "She'll be right mate, no worries."

Steve, you and Jay seem keen on the anti-inflamatories, EVEAURE etc, but do they actually help stop the injury, or do they just kill the pain?

 
At 9:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a pill fellas and no-pill fellas. Whatever it is that makes you throw pills, better fix it at the source and not only the symptoms later. We're just more or less ambitious hobby athletes - not elite runners.

Better stop what requires pills. If it's needed for treatment then fair enough but in most cases people use it to compensate for training load they would normally not be able to take. Sometimes we overshoot and most of us learn from this but some overshoot continuously and use these pills like ordinary supplements to keep their (over)training up.

It'll all break down sooner or later. The bottom line is, if needed for treatment of acute injuries then all-clear. If not, hands off! RICE doesn't say anything about pills, does it? Ingo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home