The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sakamoto

I took a day off running yesterday. I spent most of the day at the InterCommunication Center (ICC). Tokyo has some brilliant galleries and art spaces. The ICC is a great place to take kids. There's lots of games to play and interactive stuff.

At the moment, though, there's also an installation by Ryuichi Sakamoto. It's impossible to explain, but using video projections, dry ice, water and sound he creates an amazing visual experience. Definitely worth seeing.

Running
Today, I went for a 40 minute run. No problem. My back's a bit tight, that's all. Knees and feet were and are fine. I just wonder if I'm going to get bored of doing the right thing all the time. I'm itching to throw in a few 1km reps, or do some hill sprints - but I know it's too early for that.

Sunday saw the running of the City to Bay fun run in my hometown of Adelaide. 23,000 people ran this year, with the winner completing the 12km event in 34mins 24 seconds. A very good time. Some of you may have heard of the very good Australian marathoner Lee Troop. Well Lee went in the run a year or two back and could only manage 4th place, which shows how competitive it is.

Anyway, I was checking the results for the different age groups and I noticed that the winner of the M37 age group last year ran the 12km in 41.12. And the winner of the M38s did it in 44 minutes. Now, I reckon with a year of solid training under my belt I could give 44 minutes a good shake, and 41 minutes would be a possibility. So I'm seriously considering flying out to Adelaide just to run it. Or at least I'm seriously dreaming of doing it. Let's see how the training goes.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:17 pm, Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Gordon, for where you are at, trying to run consistently and build up strength and resilience, there are definitely some different kinds of workout you could do to relieve the monotony. One would be form drills over 100 m, the other would be hills, but not hill sprints. Just run up and down trying to hold much the same pace and running form. Perhaps work on straightening the knee more on the toe through and push off. Here is a perfectly timed post about form for your consideration.

 
At 10:19 pm, Blogger GKK said...

Thanks for the link. Anywhere I can see this 'form' running? Basically it's a longer stride though, right. I've got a hell of a tight groin, so I'll have to be careful.

Perhaps I'll alternate between the Sumida and the Palace - to get some hills in.

 
At 12:27 pm, Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Look on the Lydiard Foundation web site (Google is your friend). There are some videos of the hill bounding there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home