The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Monday, April 02, 2007

Eishin Clinic

I went to a doctor today to get my knee checked out. I wasn't at all impressed. The place is called Eishin Clinic. I didn't tell the doctor about my ITB because I wanted to give him a chance to diagnose me without me telling him what I thought was wrong with me.

In the end he totally misdiagnosed me, missed the ITB, told me the pain wouldn't last long, although he said he doesn't know what is causing the pain - and that I should stop running if I feel pain - which is every time I run - so what good is that advice? And the fact that the pain has lasted since mid-January makes me highly skeptical he can predict it will be gone in a few weeks. I pointed out that the clicking sound he heard when he moved my knee was ITB. He said "No, it's not ITT." In other words he had no idea what I was talking about, but couldn't be seen to have missed something. Calling it ITT was a sure sign he barely knew what I was on about.

He gave me anti-inflammatory pads, too, which is what all doctors who don't know what to do give out.

I hate the fact that in Japan no one ever questions doctors. Doctors act like they are better than the patient, and patients are not meant to take an active role in their own recovery. It's a bad system all round and produces bad doctors like the one I had today.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:55 am, Blogger Ingo said...

What I don't get, if you were a fancy soccer player and get totally messed up and almost paralyzed in a match, they fly you out to California for example to fix you and 4 weeks later you're back hitting the ball as if nothing happened.

Is it because mortals like us just don't have the cash (or the connection) to ask the right people for advice??

Man, that's just not fair... but nobody said it was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home