The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Flying Kiwi

I read a book recently simply called "Advanced Running Book". It was published by Runners World magazine back in 1983. The one thing I found throughout the book was how much sense the Kiwi coach Arthur Lydiard makes. I've incorporated simple suggestions of Lydiard's into my training - such as bounding up steps and running one long run a week.

Then I picked up the 40th anniversary edition of Runners World and in it the good runner Budd Coates says: "When it comes to training, nothing has been proven to work better than the methods of Ernest Van Aaken in the 1940s and Arthur Lydiard in the 1950s. For instance, core training and plyometrics sound like they are brand new, yet Lydiard was doing this stuff before anyone else."

So why not check out the Lydiard website: www.lydiard.co.nz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home