The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Fixed gear bikes in Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

Took a friend from London around Shibuya and Shinjuku last night. The guys from Dept were hanging around outside the shop, they were nice enough to 'pose' for a photo...



They've got some nice rides


Yes, that's a 3 Rensho third from front


Depite the aerospoke, this Panasonic caught my eye


Interesting brake set up





When night fell it was time to check out the view from the top of Tocho - the mayoral building



I was interested to see the toys on sale to children in the ultranationalist mayor's building - it didn't suprise me to find Japanese "self-defense" armored vehicles.







I've pictured this one before - a green Kalavinka, found on Omotesando





Pretty nice bikes - the yellow Panasonic behind is a winner



I've never seen this brand before "Progressive" - looks a bit cheap and nasty




This GT had some great parts - Suntour Superbe Pro cranks, Dura-Ace hubs, but it also had an awful double-clamp headstem.



There are a lot of people in the process of building all-white bikes who would kill for this Dia-Compe Ole caliper.





A very nice, simple Panasonic. Its owner was a beefy guy in his mid-40s. Looked like an ex-keirin racer.



I thought this all-white bike was well done. Needs to swap the seat for something smaller, and get some white tyres.



The frame is possibly a Peloton. I really don't know. The lugs are fillet brazed, the rear stays are shot-in, the paintwork is perfect - the whole frame is very clean.






Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:49 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I'm in Tokyo for a few days and trying to get to as many bike shops ad I can. The guys at W Base told me about Dept but I couldn't find it. I'm trying to find a mini velo to take home to Australia for my wife and they said they have them there. Any help on either of the above would be great. Cheers. Riley.

 
At 4:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Racing was made interesting with one off camber corner catching everyone out. In the first Heat it was Anneke up against Melissa Buhl and Celine Gros.Bikes Adelaide

 

Post a Comment

<< Home