The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Oda Field - 5 x 1,200m

Tonight's session at Oda Field is my favourite. I enjoy the speed at which 1,200s are run.

Tonight, as usual, I got there late. But I only missed two efforts (which I made up at the end).

My times were: 3.57, 3.58, 3.58, 4.09 (and it hurt), 4.19 (I didn't try hard enough).

I'm getting a lot of aches in my stomach and chest. Maybe I've got IBS back, or maybe I need an ECG to test my heart.


Now, time for a quick rant. I picked up a copy of the U.S. magazine Running today. It used to be my favourite magazine, but it was recently sold to Rodale publishing - and now it's gone all preachy and god-bothery. They subject readers to their faith all the way through the magazine. I wish they'd focus on what unites runners, whether they be in Africa, the Middle East, Australia and Japan, rather than preaching what sounds like an evangelical sermon in each of their pieces.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:20 am, Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Do you mean Running Times? It appears to have been bought by Rodale back in February. That's a shame because I felt that RT had a fairly different, harder edge than RW. And when you say god-bothery, do you mean that literally, like actual Christian faith like content, or just an evangelical, woo-like tone to their running articles?

Not a bad set of 1200s last night, though the last couple dropped off a bit.

 
At 2:10 pm, Blogger GKK said...

Yes, Running Times, and by god-bothery I mean literally finishing articles with stuff like 'And if you believe strongly in God you will be a better runner and have something to cling onto if you get injured'. I'm paraphrasing but it's that bad. I know in the U.S. it's considered pretty normal to ram your religion down someones throat, but in Australia and the U.K. (and Japan) it's thankfully still considered unnecessary and a bit cranky.

I didn't give it anywhere near enough gas for the final 1,200. Got lazy. Although I'd just worked three shifts in 2 days at work, so I was happy to be running at all

 

Post a Comment

<< Home