The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Finding it hard to commit

Following my knee injury I had to forget about running for awhile. I couldn't obsess about it.

Now, I can run again but I'm still not focussed on it. On Friday, I squeezed in a 20 minute run. But I've also managed to drink three pints of beer, four glasses of wine, a large coke and eat a large tub of buttered popcorn since Wednesday. I ate some good food too, but my weight is creeping up.

I need to switch to proper training and a good diet.

I also need to feel comfortable about trying hard again. When I run fast I worry that my knee will get damaged once more, so in the back of my head I tell myself to take it easy. Maybe that's a still a good idea for awhile.

Bought new running shoes today, so I'll try them out tomorrow - and give you a review, with photos.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:12 pm, Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

FWIW Gordon, I think you should adjust the freqency, intensity, duration equation by backing off the intensity and duration and increasing the frequency. In other words, try to get out there five or six days a week, but keep the distances to between 5 and 10 km and never push the pace. As you feel more confident with the knees, maybe start increasing the distances a little and only introduce the higher intensity runs gradually as your knees gain resilience from the many miles of lower intensity running. I'm not sure what kind of timeframe that should all occur over, and you probably need to consult someone with more knowledge than me, but I just can't help having the feeling from having been reading your blog for a while that you have tendency to get impatient and go out and throw too much at your body before it is ready. I may be off the mark, but my gut feeling is you could benefit from a protracted period of slow(ish) steady running. Especially over the next few months of summer when there is not much point going fast anyway.

 
At 6:23 pm, Blogger GKK said...

I think you hit the nail on the head Steve. I do push things too hard - I like running as fast as I can.

I'm not going to run beyond 1 hour for the next few months - I learnt my lesson from the 90 minute run I attempted (that said, I've just come in from a 1 hour run, and turning myself around after 30 minutes was like turning an oil tanker coz there's a really nice bit of rubberized running surface just after the 30 min turn around point.

I'm also going to limit my "races" to 5km. I like running 5's anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home