The Village Velodrome Appreciation Society

A blog about jitensha and jogging

Monday, August 20, 2007

I'm fine

Well I finally got my results today - and the MRI scan found that I'm fine. Great. So I've wasted 8 weeks of training time. And I'm still in pain - but the doctor didn't know what I should do next. He said I can run again. So I guess I just put up with the pain and start running again. I wish doctors around the world would/could adopt a patient-centred approach to treating people. Personally, I'd love it if the doctor tackled my pain and what is causing it, rather than simply telling me I'm not going to die and ushering me out of the room. But, hey, I'm not going to die. So I should be smiling.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4:07 pm, Blogger Ingo said...

Good to hear you're ok buddy! So there's this mysterious chest pain left. You were nursing a couple of niggles for months and soon after you restarted training you ran 5k best and that sort of stuff. You think there could be any connection to your chest issue?

Does it bother you only during training or also when you rest? Your aerobic base might have suffered a lot during your downtime. Getting that air into your lungs for these higher aerobic paces could be just too much for them to deal with. Even more so during the current heat wave in Tokyo. Could be an idea to back off the paces for a start - but who am I to recommend such thing.

It seemed to me that you always did more mid-distance oriented running, aiming 5k or 10k. Yes you were talking about marathon but have you ever really done just miles in a comfortable zone? Try marathon training for a change ;-)

Join me in shooting for a 3:10-3:15 fall marathon. Just miles will get us there - we've got more than enough speed for this kind of goal already.

 
At 5:01 pm, Blogger GKK said...

Thanks Ingo, I get the pain now and then whether I exercise or not. Maybe it's muscular? I'll slowly get back into the running (starting tonight) and see how I feel. I would like to run a marathon - but I have to be careful of my knees still. It's such a balancing act!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home